Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Like Two Peas in a Fishbowl...

We are very different, my new office mate and I.

I lay out my clothes for the next day the evening before. I think she sleeps in her clothes for the next day the evening before. At first I thought she was wearing the same black "iMac" t-shirt every day. But then I noticed subtle differences in them. The fronts are all the same, but the backs all bear a different message. So, really it's a uniform. A Mac geek uniform. Today she wore one over the other. Two black iMac t's at a time. Me, on the other hand, I was wondering this morning if it was too soon to wear my red pumps as I had just worn red suede boots last Friday... even though they were boots, they are heels, and red is red.

She's a gamer. She plays something called "Warcraft" on her lunch break. Me, I'm game. I just like to talk to the guys in the office and see if I can make them blush. Hey, that's a fun game.

For lunch she eats take-out that smells fantastic. I eat microwave popcorn that smells fantastic.

She stays late. I have little girls to get home to.

Every now and then I stand up and dance while I wait for my stuff to print. She ignores this. It's best, as the music is just in my head. Every now and then I sing. She ignores this. It's best, as the music is just in my head. I ignore her ignoring me and talk to her anyway.

We are finding as we work together that we each have a place. Sure, her place is a little more black t-shirt and full of mythical creatures... but she can find every file on the server and fix email issues. And my place has more red shoes and more real men.... but when your boss actually tells you part of your job is to "provide levity" you just go with who you are. Yeah, me and my office mate are different. She sighs often. I laugh often. We both slyly look over at the other and think "Man, I'm glad I'm not like THAT." It's working out between us just fine.

7 comments:

Susan Miller said...

My favorite places are where everyone is allowed to fully be whoever they are. And maybe that is why I love your place so much.

So I wonder if I should wear this t-shirt that I slept in last night. Damn, I can't...I wore it yesterday.

Good Friday to ya', my friend!

maleah said...

Susan,

It has crossed my mind that where I work is like "The Island of Mis-fit Toys." That's how much everyone is allowed to be themselves. But work happens anyway.

And now I'm off to work in my Kenzie metallic brown boots with wedge heel.

Maleah

Justin said...

Apple has T-Shirts now? They are realy trying to take over the world, aren't they?
j.

RK Sterling said...

So that's YOU! :)

maleah said...

Justin,

I was finally told that she used to work at the "Apple Store" in the Galleria for fun on the weekends. It IS a uniform. Obviously she misses wearing them to her other job, and yes, they are taking over the world.

-Maleah

maleah said...

Kate S,

Am I outside of myself in someone else's body in your office annoying the crud out of you, too?

Maleah

realbigwings said...

Maleah,

I know what you mean. I regularly swing in my office chair to internal tunes, rise to my feet with a graceful twirl, and dance on the rocks during lunch break. I just can't act "normal" for 8 hours straight. And really, who would want me to? Besides, you know, that one man who's always glaring.

~Dawn